Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Adaptation


Just finished a new detailed illustration for Space and Time Magazine and, again, my hand was none too happy about it (osteoarthritis). So, in the spirit of adapting to getting older, I experimented with icing my hand every hour or so. It did nothing for the pain, but wonders for the redness and swelling. There's a creme for pain that works well. Next time, I'll try alternating heat and ice and I still need to find some foam or padding to wrap around the stylus so I don't have to squeeze quite so tightly.

The illustration will appear in issue #134, available for purchase in multiple formats on September 23, 2019.

2 comments:

  1. I have guilt that we are all profiting from your pain, but to the rest of us (who aren't icing our hands) the gorgeous work is worth every minute. Please put in an order from me for a signed print when they are available. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I figure I might as well concern some part of this blog with my process of adapting to osteoarthritis. It's niche, but I bet I can corner the market on personal stories of artists fighting with sleepless nights and swollen knuckles. There will be more talk of aches, and you shouldn't feel responsible for them. I wouldn't have the fulfilling opportunities to make this art if it weren't for you guys at Space and Time Magazine. I'm grateful every day for it. =)

      Delete