Tuesday, December 17, 2019

More Adaptation




I'm calling this a life saver. Finally got around to wrapping my WACOM stylus so that I don't have to painfully hold my arthritic fingers to a tight point.

Tattoo artists do this often and I used some of their recommendations, going with medical tape as the main padding. It took a little getting used to and, at first, felt like drawing with one of those comically large novelty pencils. But by the end the results were obvious.

I managed to work on the illustration with little discomfort and no need for icing or pain relieving creme until the last three hours of work. Normally, I have to stop and take a break after two hours of drawing.

A big win for these achy digits.

2 comments:

  1. I love your work so I want to see more, but I don't want you to be in pain! This is truly what is meant by "suffering for one's art." I'm glad you found something that helps, but I still feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I can't say that my condition is improving with time, but my ability to adapt to it (working shorter times, modifying the stylus, icing, etc.) are helping greatly with managing the degree of pain that occurs. I don't want you to feel guilty for providing these opportunities when they bring me so much joy. Thank you for caring and for keeping this outlet for artists and writers alive. I'm forever grateful. --Anth

      Delete