Thursday, June 22, 2017

One At A Time




I have incurred a lot of ill will in my day, and sometimes it boils over. There was one time when a whole shipful of men had had enough of me.”
- R. A. Lafferty, “One at a Time”

Sometimes a single sentence is strong enough to burn an image into the mind's eye. This is especially true of Lafferty's writing, where every sentence seems to land a solid hit (or scratch, or tickle, depending on the author's intent) and every punch seems to come from a different direction.

There have been a few illustrations I've done lately where one might look at the work and think, “Strange, I don't remember that part of the story.” This is one of them.

Note how the sleeves attach and note the hammer at the tip of the belt. McSkee “The Odd One” has been taking it one at a time with many a day between.

This was also another example of me trying to find a faster route toward a finished illustration. The background was all drawn into the computer with a stylus, while the character was clicked into existence via vector graphics.


2 comments:

  1. I'm re-reading your last few posts this evening. I can't believe that I haven't already commented. Reasons, excuses. I have seen all of these posts and enjoyed them.

    I love your original sketches. I do think that the finished product is superior, but not necessarily because of the shift in medium, only because it's obvious that more thought has gone into the development of the idea. It is wonderful to see the hand-drawn exploring. Please tell us more about this process. Is what you posted here (and in the other couple of posts) a first draft, second, third? What drives the jump to digital?

    I'd definitely be interested in seeing you attempt to fully develop an idea in just pencil and ink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    While I'm reading a story and the illustration and composition sort of form in my head, I'll often quickly put down the story and grab a piece of paper and make a quick inspired first sketch.

    These are what, for the most part, I have been pairing with the blog posts.

    As for developing a completed pencil or ink illustration. Unfortunately, there is a restrictive practicality to my creativity. Most of these illustrations were created specifically as internal art for the Feast of Laughter fanbooks. I'm much happier with how the high-contrast B&W vector style are printed in these books than grey tones and thin pen drawings.

    Maybe sometime in the future there will be a outlet where I can start sharpening my pencils and doing a little crosshatching, but for now I'm happy.

    Thanks for posting your comment.

    ReplyDelete